2. Ignorance is Bliss

When I reached the hospital I think I was in shock and denial.  As it turned out the liquid I felt seeping from under me wasn’t blood.  I was also conscious.  So how bad could it be?  Apparently the first words out of my mouth to my sister were asking if my hair looked ok! Clearly I was fine, my normal self.  They then started doing X-rays and tests and more tests and before I knew it I had 10mg of morphine injected into my leg and the rest is all a blur.

I woke up on the hospital ward some hours later, with my parents and sister by my bedside.  The look of fear and concern on their faces was palpable.  What a horrible journey up to Cambridge from London they had had.

Rena had only managed to get hold of my Dad.  My Mother didn’t have a mobile phone in those days, so it was difficult to get hold of her if she wasn’t at work or at home.  She was working a few days a week for a charity at the time and thankfully she had gone into the office that day.  She was confused.  What had happened?  My Dad didn’t have time to explain he said, just that she should meet him at home immediately so they could drive up to Cambridge.  It wasn’t until they were in the car together that my Dad explained what he knew and that’s when my Mother’s world went dark.  What state would they find me in?  Would I even be alive?  She told me later that the not knowing made that car journey one of the most horrific moments of her life.  She couldn’t have known then, that it was going to get so much worse.

There was good news.  From the tests and X-rays there were no broken bones and no serious damage to my internal organs as far as they could tell.  However, what had happened is something they termed “degloving”.  It’s basically like a massive Chinese burn to the side of my body. The liquid I felt seeping out was internal and the body’s protective mechanism sending fluid to the area to protect it.  Apparently, it was like this enormous balloon was attached to me.  I couldn’t bring myself to see it.  I knew if I saw my wounds I would never be able to remove those images from my mind.  This turned out to be pretty insightful on my part as when I started my PTSD treatment many years later, not having seen those horrifying images of my injured body, would have a massive impact on the speed of my recovery mentally.

The next step was surgery to remove some of the liquid.  The doctors assured me and my family it wasn’t that complicated and I would be in surgery for a couple of hours maximum.  Ok so this seemed manageable.  In my head they would remove the liquid, sew me up and I would be recovered in time to still go to the US with my theatre group.  Brilliant!  As you can imagine I was way off the mark of how my recovery would eventually turn out.

The following hours were torture for my family.  As they sat waiting for news, two hours became five.  Five became seven.  Eventually after 8 hours of surgery I emerged from the operating theatre.  The news was not good.  When they opened up the side of my body they discovered that all the muscle fibers, fat, skin, tissues, everything between my skin and bones was dead.  So they had to remove it all.  This left a gaping hole in the side of my body.  My mother likened it to an animal bite, like some huge monster had taken a chunk out of the side of my body.  It was now an open wound.  They had to do more surgery over the coming days to try to close the area.  I needed skin grafts.  On top of all of this my knee, which I had dislocated at the scene, was also in bad shape.  All the ligaments had torn.  But that was secondary.  The risk of cross infection from my now open wound into my knee was too great so they had to put it in a brace and leave it.  There was clearly no sign I was leaving the hospital any time soon.

The next three weeks are a blur.  I had a further 9 surgeries on the side of my body.  I was on a morphine pump for the pain and I was in a state of delirium most of the time.  There are moments I remember but they are harrowing and disturbing.  Morphine does funny things to the brain.  I had horrible hallucinations and nightmares and for these 3 weeks my Mother stayed by bedside 24 hours a day.  If someone wasn’t holding my hand I would go into a panic.  My sister and Dad would give her a break to get a cup of tea, but I was terrified without her.  I had some of my darkest moments during this time but looking back, the inability to remember a lot of it was a blessing.  Because later, when I would start my physical and mental recovery fully aware of what was going on, that awareness of the darkness, trauma and despair almost destroyed me.  In these three weeks I was just trying to stay alive.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: